Monday, November 15, 2010

Happy Father's Day Cipher Key

"Dear Father: Crack the cipher before you get the greetings. Love, Smart-ass Kid. "

Below is a Father's Day letter I wrote when I was nine years old. It was in a brown envelope with a Scrooge McDuck sticker for a stamp. Evidently little has changed over the last 21 years as far as the author's general frame of mind and abundant geek idiosyncrasies go.

No idea what the symbols stand for. I used to ink up all sorts of weird symbols and mandalas.
HELSINKI 7.11.1989

Hello Father!  I'm doing well in school, and today I'm writing to you, as I'm sure you already notice. How are you doing there at home? (Like I didn't already know.) Solve this puzzle for starters! Solution at the bottom right corner. Below is the code cipher key.

    5    10    15    20    25   29 
ABCDE FGHIJ KLMNO PQRST UVWXY ZÅÄÖ

8 25 22 28 28 9 19 28 14 16 28 9 21 2x28 ! ! !

Love, Oskari

[Answer: Happy Father's Day!!!!]

2 comments:

Mr. Ananda ∴ μ α ω λ said...

Probably wasn't too hard to crack! He would sometimes read books upside down to my great amusement, just because he could. With a long working history in manual print composition, film processing and the rest, upside down text or mirrored text was just the same old text for him. =)

Noora said...

Haha, "kuten jo huomaatkin varmasti" & "ihan niinkun sitä en tietäisi"! Näsäviisaat lapset on mahtavia, vähänniinkun minä pienenä toistamassa "mä oon ihan liian vanha tälläseen pelleilyyn" -tyylisiä lauseita.
P.s. tuolla on viimesen v-kirjaimen kohdalla virhe :(

Post a Comment